THE GREEN WAY
In 1997, the Saône-et-Loire launches for the first time in France the concept of the « green Way » which will become a source of inspiration in Europe. From Chalon-sur-Saône to the gates of Mâcon, this itinerary crosses landscapes dominated by the rocks of Solutré, Pouilly and Vergisson, which are listed as «Great Sites of France».
The longest tunnel in Europe :
This itinerary offers the peculiarity of crossing a tunnel: the tunnel of Bois Clair, the longest tunnel in Europe opened to cyclists. An alternative route 9,5 km long allows to bypass it (loop n° 14 ) when it closes from the 1st of October to the 15 of April, to protect the hibernating bats. This crossing is a genuine adventure in the bowels of the earth (4-6 min. by bicycle, 6-10 min. by rollers, 15-20 min. by foot). Drilled in the hill of Bois Clair to reach Mâcon by railroad, it covers a distance of 1,6 km and maintains a temperature of 11°.
Several itineraries :
During this hike, you will enjoy small slopes in the middle of varied landscapes filled with vineyards between Cluny and Mâcon (25,3 km of intermediate level).
Another possible itinerary between Saint-Rémy and Berzé-le-Châtel (tunnel of Bois Clair) extends over 55 km.
Stroll in the medieval villages of Buxy and Saint-Gengoux-le-National. Let yourself be charmed by the Renaissance castle of Cormatin with its magnificent apartments and gardens. Walk in the streets of Cluny and let yourself be carried away by the splendour of the abbey, jewel of Burgundy’s medieval art, discover Tournus, typical of Romanesque art, where you will also find the bicycle museum. The view over the fortified castle of Berzé-le-Châtel is both spectacular and startling, before crossing the border which will lead you to the more poetic Val Lamartinien.
Finally, some proposals of trail loops, departing from the green way, offering great escapades in the heart of Southern Burgundy :
– The valley of Orbize starting from Givry (7 km)
– Stroll in the countryside starting from Jully-lés-Buxy (27 km)
– Go meet potters starting from Saint-Gengoux-le-National (13 km)
– Chapaize starting from Saint-Gengoux-le-National (23 km)
– Wash houses loop starting from Savigny-sur-Grosne (26 km)
– From la Grosne to la Guye starting from Savigny-sur-Grosne (45 km)
– Romanesque churches loops starting from Cormatin (15 and 31 km)
– Loops from « Cluny to Cormatin » starting from Cluny (31 and 47 km)
– The Val Lamartinien: starting from Prissé (21,5 km)
These are lots of ideas for combining sport and culture in breathtaking landscapes while enjoying regional culinary specialties.